25 November 2008

priests

As I was reading my Rob Bell book,it talked about the invitation on how God speaks to a group of people at Mount Sinai and invites them to make a covenant. As Rob Bell puts it...
"The divine and the human, coming together in a sacred wedding ceremony." But before God invites them to this 'ceremony' He tells Moses to remind them of Exodus...

"As Moses went up to meet God, God called down to him from the mountain: "Speak to the House of Jacob, tell the People of Israel: 'You have seen what I did to Egypt and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to me. If you will listen obediently to what I say and keep my covenant, out of all peoples you'll be my special treasure. The whole Earth is mine to choose from, but you're special: a kingdom of priests, a holy nation."-Exodus 19:3-6

I think it's jaw dropping to think about all the times we've screwed up the way in which God calls us to live yet He still forgives us and not only forgives us but welcomes us with open arms and still reminds us that were SPECIAL and calls us to be kingdom of priests and a HOLY nation. He doesn't just remind us that we are his beloved children but He calls us to be a kingdom of priests! Do you even know the significance of the title of being called a priest? According to Dictionary.com its:

Priest:
1.a person whose office it is to perform religious rites, and esp. to make sacrificial offerings.
2.(in Christian use)
a)a person ordained to the sacerdotal or pastoral office; a member of the clergy; minister.
b.)(in hierarchical churches) a member of the clergy of the order next below that of bishop, authorized to carry out the Christian ministry.
3.a minister of any religion.

or as Rob Bell describes it...

"A priest shows you what his or her god is like"

It got me thinking....I think often its so easy to walk around and think to our selves 'Jesus loves me and I am doing well because I do my devotionals daily and I can quote a bunch of scripture yada yada' but when it comes to defending our God were left without words.

Or we answer with questions like 'Well God loves you and your sin's and that's why my God is awesome!'....but there's more to that.

We've been invited to be a 'priest'...to show to UN believers what our GOD is like. Through our way of living. Through out relationships. Through our words. Through our Worship...and through all these elements when we are standing there asked to answer why do we choose to serve this God..its because He gives us what our hearts desire and justice even when we deny Him.

God is calling us to be a holy nation and to show the world what HE IS like...what are we doing daily to show who he is through our living? Are we living up to the definition of a 'priest'?

No comments: